8 servings • 35 minutes
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 4 cups Portobello Mushroom (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 3/4 cups Walnuts (chopped)
- 2 cups Green Lentils (cooked)
- 2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2/3 cups Almond Flour
- 1/3 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onion and mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Drain off any excess liquid.
- In a food processor, combine the mushroom and onion mix, walnuts, half the lentils, tabasco sauce, paprika and chili powder. Pulse until smooth.
- Transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl and add almond flour, parsley, sea salt, black pepper
and remaining lentils. Mix well. (Note: Add more almond flour 1 tbsp at a time if your mixture is too wet.)
- Take just over 1/3 cup of the mixture and form it into a patty with your hands or use a round cookie cutter or large mason jar lid to make perfect patties. Place the patties on a piece of parchment paper.
- Heat a BBQ over medium heat. Grill the patties for 10 to 15 minutes per side and then gently flip. Brush each side with a bit of olive oil before and after flipping.
- Remove from BBQ and top the burgers with your favourite burger fixings and enjoy!
Serving suggestions: Serve in a bun, or with a side salad, or with grilled mixed vegetables.
No BBQ: Preheat oven to 200oC and bake the patties for 12 to 15 minutes per side.
Toppings: Sprouts, avocado, tomato, goat cheese, feta cheese, mustard or greens.