Heartburn can be caused by food triggers, stress and anxiety, smoking, overeating or medications such as anti-inflammatories, some anti-depressants and some blood pressure drugs.
Common heartburn symptoms include:
- A burning feeling in the chest when lying down, usually after eating
- A burning feeling after consuming certain foods
- Bloating and upper abdominal discomfort
- A foul sour taste in the mouth
- Frequent burping, coughing and nausea
- A small amount of acid or vomit travelling from your stomach to your mouth or the back of your throat
If you’re unsure whether the pain you’re experiencing is heartburn or a heart attack, seek medical assistance immediately by calling triple zero (000).
There are a variety of over-the-counter and prescription medications that can treat reflux, as well as lifestyle changes that can help manage your heartburn symptoms. The treatment your Rosemary doctor prescribes will depend on severity, frequency of symptoms and your lifestyle.
Heartburn can be treated with over-the-counter remedies like antacids as well as prescription medication like proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) and histamine-2 blockers.
Treatment usually lasts between 4 to 12 weeks. During this time your online doctor will follow up with you to see how your treatment and symptoms are progressing.